Driving a Left Hand Drive Car
If you are unfamiliar with driving a left hand drive car, the prospect of adapting to this unfamiliar style of driving can be daunting. All your regular thought processes when it comes to negotiating a road are dramatically altered, and even the most accomplished of drivers can struggle with the transition.
Learn more about driving LHD cars in the guide below.
About Driving Left Hand Drive Cars
• Firstly, expect the sensation of driving an LHD car to feel a little strange. After years of driving in a right hand car, it’s only natural that the switch will be awkward in the early stages. However, it’s important to concentrate on adapting your driving skills from the start to avoid becoming a danger to other road users.
• You’ll need to check your mirrors like never before if you’re making that switch from right hand drive to left hand drive. Check your door mirror regularly to ensure you are sitting in the correct position on the road. It’s easy for a driver used to right hand vehicles to become complacent and snake onto the middle of the road, forgetting his or her adjustment in driving position.
• If you forget to check your driving position regularly, you’ll not only become a danger to oncoming traffic, but you’ll also anger any drivers behind you looking to overtake. Therefore, stay aware of your proximity to the centre line at all times.
• Overtaking can become a major issue for anyone looking to learn the art of driving left hand drive cars. It’s best to avoid the temptation to overtake unless you’re completely confident with the handling of the car. Leave plenty of room between your car and other vehicles, and if possible ask any passengers in the car to keep an eye on oncoming traffic before making any move.
• Finally, take extra care when turning left at junctions, as your view from the right may be partially obscured. As you manoeuvre your left hand drive, make sure you’re fully aware of all surrounding traffic to minimise the risk of an accident occurring.
Find left hand cars for sale on Friday Ad.
3dr, Metallic Blue, 2009(09), 20500 miles, Alloy Wheels, Colour Coded...
SWB, White, 2004(54), 106000 miles, ABS, Adjustable Seats, Central Lock...
5 Door 4x4, Grey, 2007(57), GREY 17,975 Miles Full service history,Side...
R GT 3 Door Hatchback, Red, 2009(59), RED 11,546 Miles Full service hist...
998cc, Hatchback, 5-Speed, Crystal Silver, 2009(59), 27055 miles, AB...
4 Door Saloon, Silver, 2007(07), SILVER 22,569 Miles Full Service His...
1339cc, Hatchback, 5-Speed, Blue met, 2006(55), 50734 miles, ABS, Immobiliser...
1970cc, Grey, 2002(52), 130315 miles, Part exchange to clear, MOT un...
5 Door 4x4, Green, 2006(56), GREEN 37,100 Miles Full service history,one...
1461cc, Hatchback, Diesel, 6-Speed, Grey met, 2008(58), 77125 miles,...
4244cc, Saloon, Semi-Automatic, Grey, 2006(56), ABS, Air Bag, Twin A...
AERO VAN BURNSTER MOTORHOME, 4 berth, and...
ice A/C Sunroof Recent clutch, 1998cc, White, 1996(N), 120000 miles, Pa...
150 3dr, 1598cc, Aluminium Silver, 2008(58), Full service history, 2 Previous...
Silver, 2011, 108555 miles, Supplied with our Customer Charter, ONLY...
5dr *ONLY 39,000 MILES*, 1388cc, Hatchback, 5-Speed, Aluminium Silver, 2005...
1598cc, MPV, 5-Speed, Blue met, 2005(05), 98486 miles, ABS, Immobilise...
1242cc, Hatchback, 5-Speed, Dark Blue, 2012(61), 22000 miles, ABS, Remote Ce...
1598cc, MPV, 5-Speed, Grey, 2002(52), 91000 miles, Electric Sunroof...
5dr, 1995cc, Hatchback, Diesel, 5-Speed, Aluminium Silver, 2002(02), 7900...